Saltar al contenido principal

Conozca sus Derechos



In June 2021, the State Department announced that it would no longer require passport applicants to submit medical certification to change the gender marker on their passports. Under this policy, a transgender person can obtain a passport reflecting their gender by submitting an application with the chosen gender marker selected. This policy replaced the Department’s old policy requiring certification by a physican of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition, which had been in place since 2010.

As of 2022, applicants may self-select an M, F, or X gender marker for their passport. 

¿Puedo obtener un pasaporte con mi género actual?

Under the current policy, you can obtain a full ten-year passport with an updated gender marker upon request by filling out an application form and indicating whether you would like your gender marker to read "M," "F," or "X."

El sitio web del Departamento de Estado que explica los cambios en la designación sexual está disponible aquí:…

¿Necesito una certificación médica?

No. As of June 2021, State Department policy is that changing the gender marker on a U.S. passport does not require a physician's certification. You may select the gender marker you wish to appear on your passport by choosing one of the available options on an application form. No additional documentation is necessary.

¿El Departamento de Estado necesita otra información médica?

You do not need to submit any details or documentation regarding your medical history or treatment in order to update your gender marker. Your doctor does not need to certify that you have undergone any specific treatment or procedure and we recommend, for the sake of your privacy and in order to not confuse the process, that you do not include any additional medical information with your passport application.

¿Pueden los niños transgénero obtener pasaportes actualizados?

La política actual de cambio de género se aplica tanto a adultos como a menores. Todas las solicitudes de pasaportes para menores están sujetas a requisitos especiales de consentimiento de los padres. (Estos requisitos se aplican a todos los menores, no solo a los menores transgénero). Consulte las instrucciones del Departamento de Estado para solicitar un pasaporte para niños menores de 16 o para solicitantes de edad 16 y 17.


¿Cómo solicito un pasaporte?


Updating Your Gender Marker on an Existing Passport or Getting a Passport for the First Time

Si está solicitando cambiar su marcador de género, presentando una solicitud de pasaporte por primera vez, o solicitando un pasaporte cuando su pasaporte anterior haya caducado, debes aplicar en persona.

Deberá completar y enviar: 

  1. Application for U.S. Passport (Formulario DS-11. );
  2. Prueba de ciudadanía estadounidense (como un pasaporte estadounidense anterior, certificado de nacimiento certificado, certificado de naturalización o informe de nacimiento en el extranjero);
  3. Proof of Identity that contains your signature and photograph that is “a good likeness to you” (such as a previous U.S. Passport, a Driver’s License, a Certificate of Naturalization, Military Identification, or a Government Employee Identification Card). You must present the original AND provide a photocopy of the front and back side with your application;
  4. Una fotografía en color reciente de 2x2 pulgadas de tamaño;
  5. If you are changing your name on your passport, an Order for Name Change (certified copy showing a seal and officiate/judge signature);
  6. CuotaSee Honorarios del pasaporte del Departamento de Estado por el costo). 
Take these documents and fees in person to any Passport Acceptance Facility. To find the acceptance facility closest to you, visit the State Department’s website, Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page, at o llame al Centro Nacional de Información de Pasaportes al 1-877-487 2778.


Updating Your Legal Name Only (no gender marker update) on an Existing Valid Passport

Cuando ya tenga un pasaporte válido, puede enviar un Solicitud de renovación de pasaporte para cambiar su nombre legal en el pasaporte por correo. Deberá completar y enviar: 

  1. A Passport Renewal Application (Formulario DS-82. );
  2. Su pasaporte más reciente (libro o tarjeta);
  3. Una fotografía en color reciente de 2x2 pulgadas de tamaño;
  4. Orden para el cambio de nombre (copia certificada que muestre un sello y la firma del funcionario / juez);
  5. CuotaSee Honorarios del pasaporte del Departamento de Estado por el costo). 

¿Qué es una tarjeta de pasaporte y cómo solicito una?

A U.S. passport card is a wallet-sized card that looks like a driver’s license. A passport card is significantly less expensive than a traditional passport book but cannot be used for international travel by air. A passport card may be used as everyday identification within the United States and may be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Application forms and documentation requirements for a passport card are the same as for a passport book; simply check “passport card” instead of or in addition to "passport book" on the application form.


¿Cómo cambio una validez limitada a un pasaporte de validez total?

As of October 2021, it seems that the State Department no longer distinguishes between a transition that is “in process” and one that is “complete.” This distinction was originally intended for applicants who had recently begun a gender transition and needed documentation to travel abroad, before the requirement for undergoing a surgical procedure was removed. As there is no longer any requirement to provide medical certification to justify a change in gender marker on a U.S. passport, these limited validity passports should no longer be issued in gender marker change cases.

If you have been previously issued a limited validity two-year passport, you should submit a terminado Formulario DS 5504, Application for a U.S. Passport (Name Change, Data Correction and Limited Passport Book Replacement) to extend to a full validity passport. No additional fee is required unless you request expedited service.

You may mail in your application to the National Passport Processing Center or drop off your completed application and required documentation to your local State Department Office.  Note that any documents you mail in will be returned if not damaged. 

By Mail, Routine Service: National Passport Processing Center, P.O. Box 90107, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0107

By Mail, Expedited Service (Additional Fee): National Passport Processing Center, P.O. Box 90907, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0107

En persona: para ubicar su centro de aceptación de pasaportes local, visite

¿Puedo actualizar un registro consular de nacimiento en el extranjero?

Yes. A Consular Record of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is the equivalent of a birth certificate for American citizens born abroad. The policy for passports also applies for updating a CRBA. No medical documentation is necessary to request a change to CRBA gender marker.

Para enmendar un informe consular de nacimiento en el extranjero, Usted debe enviar:

  1. Una solicitud escrita (o mecanografiada) notariada que detalla la enmienda o corrección necesaria;
  2. Certified copies of documents justifying the amendment requested, in this case a court ordered name change, if applicable;
  3. An Reporte consular original o de reemplazo de nacimiento en el exterior.: any birth record issued from the Department of State such as an FS-240 (for birth after January 3, 2011), replacement FS-240,  Certification of Report of Birth DS-1350 (for birth Nov 1, 1990 - Jan 2, 2011) or Certification of Birth Abroad FS-545 (for birth prior to November 1, 1990); or a notarized affidavit indicando el paradero del original o cualquier reemplazo FS-240, DS-1350, FS-545 emitido por el Departamento de Estado;
  4. Una copia de la identificación válida del solicitante;
  5. A $50.00 check or money order made payable to “Department of State”. The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.

Correo a:

Departamento de Estado
Pasaporte Sección de Registros Vitales
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213

To check the status of your FS-240 request, call 202-485-8300. You can find information about amendments on the State Department website here:

¿Qué pasa si me enfrento a problemas al actualizar mi pasaporte?

The current policy specifically instructs passport specialists to treat transgender applicants with respect, including using appropriate pronouns and not asking unrelated questions. If you encounter improper requests for information, unprofessional behavior, or other difficulties obtaining a passport, you can call the National Passport Information Center at +1 (855) 865-7755 para presentar una queja o presentar una queja en línea a través del Departamento de Estado Encuesta al consumidor. You can also contact NCTE, your Regional Passport Office, or your U.S. Senator’s Office. NCTE is consistently monitoring implementation of this policy.

Si encuentra discriminación, acoso u otras dificultades graves relacionadas con ser transgénero mientras viaja al extranjero, comuníquese con el Consulado o Embajada de los Estados Unidos más cercano de inmediato.

Recursos adicionales

Texto completo de la política de cambio de género - Manual de Asuntos Exteriores del Departamento de Estado de EE. UU., 8 FAM 403.3 Cambio de género:

Información de Designación de Género del Departamento de Estado de los Estados Unidos:…

Inicio del pasaporte del Departamento de Estado de los Estados Unidos:

Departamento de Estado de los Estados Unidos, cambie su nombre en su pasaporte:…

US State Department, Frequently Asked Questions on Passports and Citizenship Documents:

Llame al Centro Nacional de Información de Pasaportes para obtener información o quejas:
+1 (877) 487-2778

Suscríbase a nuestro boletín